Debate Topic ____________________________________ date
You and your partner are responsible for arguing each side of the issue assigned to your group. One argues for and the other argues against the issue. You will need to compose a documented argument.
v Create an annotated bibliography and proposal MLA (heading, 12pt. font, Times new Roman) consisting of at least 5 credible sources (examples on the handout on the back of this page)
v It must highlight the information used in your discussion and how it is relevant to your argument (one paragraph for each) – therefore each citation needs to have at least 1 paragraph of summary and a statement of at least 1-2 sentences that explains how the article relates to your argument – please use complete sentences
v Must use in text citations and statistics to prove your argument
v You will turn in a hardcopy to me prior to your speech
The presentation will be in a debate format:
v Each person will be given 3 minutes to prove his or her points and a 2-minute rebuttal following initial argument.
v You may prove and refute your opposition in your argument.
v You must cite at least 3 formal references in your discussion
v Be sure to use credible references in your discussion to substantiate your argument (According to the CNN article on . . .) Wikipedia is not a credible source
v You grade will be based upon the effectiveness of your content and argument as well as how you present yourself.
v You will be allowed five detailed note cards that need to be turned in at the end of the debate.
You may not read your argument from your notes – your must have works cited to turn in to receive credit – turn in notes page and works cited. You may however use note cards to help prompt your discussion and to serve as cues for your argument.
Length of debate __________________________________________
Is argument clearly stated? __________________________________
Key points state to support your claim:
Address and refute the opposing side? _______________________________________________________________________
Speaks audibly and clearly:
Uses proper sources and refrains from slander/non-credible sources?
Overall discussion _______________________________________________________________________
Annotated Bibliography Name:
English 4 Due:
Create an annotated bibliography documenting all of your sources to establish credibility for your debate and the position/or your stand on the issue. You must create your own bibliography arguing your position separate from your debate partner. It must include the following:
- 5 credible sources from EBSCO Host, Gale group, ABC-Clio or any library/student database (wikipedia is not a credible sources, do not Google these subjects because you will obtain inaccurate material and way too broad research – you need actual articles and verifiable/credible research)
- cite each source according to MLA – be sure to put them in alphabetical order (see example below)the entire document should be double-spaced with MLA heading and right hand margin page numbers (last name 1)
- For each source, you need to cite the source and give a concise paragraph summary of the content of the article. If you state specific details, statistics or phrases from the article cite parenthetically (#).
- After the paragraph summary on each citation, give a sentence reflection on how the article pertains to your argument.
- Be sure to edit, check spelling, grammar and all type should be in MLA format – 12pt. Times New Roman and double-spaced (including the heading).
- Create an annotated bibliography with double-spaced MLA citations and summary/tie to proposal highlighting the key points of your argument and reasons that support your argument.
- Create a 250-450 word proposal of your argument, stating your argument, how you stand, refuting the opposition, and your solution to the problem. The proposal should not exceed 450 words.
- Please do not hesitate to ask questions – I will help you! **Hint – citations = double-spaced explanation/summary = single spaced
You MAY NOT use this paper for your discussion – but you may use this to make your note cards.
List sources below in MLA format: