Othello Essay Name:
English 4 Date due:
Create a well-developed analytical essay using the play as support for your essay. Be sure to fully and answer and support your essay using text and quotes (direct quotation) from the play to prove your point. Choose a topic based upon your interest that explores, “analyzes” an aspect of the play, a character or characters, or society as a reflection of literature and vice versa.
Your essay must include the following:
- A complete evaluation – introduction, body and conclusion discussing which character is the true definition of ________________.
- Adherence to MLA – heading, double-spaced (check before and after), 1 inch margins
- Define concept ________________________________
- Use a minimum of six (6) quotes to support your point – be sure to lead in and out of each quote
- Use specific examples from the text
- Choose the one story/character/theme to prove your point
- Cite text, quotes and examples using in-text and/or parenthetical citations – MLA
- Works Cited page – MLA
- Be sure to use support to prove your theory/prompt
The final draft is due ________________ and must be submitted to turnitin.com
Parker, Oliver dir. Othello.. Perf. Laurence Fishburn, Kenneth Branaugh and Irene Jacob.
Warner Brothers, 1995. Film.
Shakespeare, William. Othello. The Compact Bedford Introduction to Literature. Ed.
Michael Meyer. Boston: Bedford/St. Martins, 2003. 1037-1117. Print.
***Be sure to double space you works cited page and paper. Be sure to cite sources in the text as well. Lack of citations and/or will result in a zero.
You will be graded on the following criteria:
Introduction 10 points
Definition of concept/thesis 10 points
Content –support/evidence/adherence to point 50 points
Quotes 20 points
Conclusion 10 points
One point will be subtracted for each grammatical/mechanical error.