Paper #1: Memoir Name: ______________________________
What is a memoir? (Norton Reader 188)
- A good story – It focuses and reflects on the relationship between the writer and a particular person, place, animal, or object, explaining the significance of the relationship.
- Your story leaves the reader with one impression of the subject of the memoir that is usually limited to a particular phase, time period, place, or recurring behavior in order to develop the focus fully.
- The description and events surrounding the subject of the memoir come alive through first person point of view.
- A memoir has a specific theme or focus – however a memoir does not contain everything from the particular slice of the author’s life, but rather, events are selected and examined for meaning relative to the purpose of the piece (to entertain and inform the reader of oneself).
- The author questions what happened and come to some kind of new understanding or lesson learned by it. The author shows us how he or she was affected by this experience or relationship and how it has profoundly changed the way he sees the world.
***And by extension, reading the memoir changes the way the reader sees the world.
Create your own memoir. Create a well-developed discussion of a particular event in your life (although it can be a moment in time, it does not have to be a landmark event). Your paper should include the following:
- References all the senses (taste, touch, sight, sound, smell) in your use of sensory details and description.
- Must be in first person point of view/perspective
- Engages your reader as well as shows your own personal engagement/investment in the story
- Explores an event that made you think/reflect and in turn will make the reader think and challenge her or her own knowledge of a particular topic.
- Touches on a central theme to which the reader can relate – universal and human in nature.
- Adheres to grammatical purity and proper formatting (MLA)
- Results in a complete discussion (beginning, middle and end)
- Obtain a minimum of two (2) peer reviews
You will be graded on your adherence to these requirements and the class rubric.
Introductory paragraph due _____________________________
Rough Draft Due _____________________________________
Peer Revisions due __________________________________
Final draft due ______________________________________