Short Story Assignment
Honors 2 English
Short Stories must meet the following criteria:
- Must be original and based upon a dream or dream vision
- Point of view – your choice – 1st person, 3rd person, 3rd omniscient, 3rd limited
- Must have a clearly identified protagonist and antagonist
- 3 to 5 pages (minimum), typed in 12 pt., double-spaced , times new roman (MLA)
- Make sure it clearly identifies the story from beginning to end, plot, setting, characters, resolution, climax, rising action, falling action, exposition, etc.
- You will be graded on your content, grammar, and creativity – SO EDIT, EDIT and then EDIT AGAIN!
- Background/exposition – be sure to give your reader necessary information to know the background of your story and/or characters
- Theme/setting/topic –
- Time period and society – it needs to have a clearly defined time period
- be sure to write in the same verb tense throughout your story
- Clearly define setting – surrounding, city, country, etc.
- Clearly define the society in which the story takes place – socioeconomic status (rich, poor, middle class, poverty, third world, etc.)
- Vary characterization – indirect/direct, static/dynamic, round/flat
- Creativity – make your story unique and fun and must be comedic in nature or fascial and involve some element of fantasy.
- Do not write about inappropriate material – your stories should be creative and interesting but school/class appropriate.
****If you are feeling bold, you may compose the story in verse (unrhymed iambic pentameter) but this is not a requirement.
If you have any questions please don’t hesitate to ask! Have fun with your stories!** Complete and turn in the worksheet below by ___________________ and turn in with your final paper!!
Rough draft due: ____________________Final paper due: _________________________
Checklist/ pre-write worksheet:
______ characters – list:___________________________________________________________________
______ falling action:_____________________________________________________________________